Tangy blackberry jam comes together with sweet coconut flakes to create this swirled Blackberry & Coconut Pound Cake.
Coconut Pound Cake
- 210g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 226g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 30g shredded unsweetened coconut
- 100g blackberry jam
- 85g powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream
- Additional toasted coconut flakes for topping, if desired
- For the Coconut Pound Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F, grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar on medium-high for 5-7 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy. Scrap the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time on low, fully incorporating one before the next. Add the vanilla extract.
- Alternating between the dry ingredients mixture and the coconut cream, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Once nearly combined, add 1/2 of the coconut cream. Continue to alternate until all ingredients are nearly combined. Use a rubber spatula to mix the last bits of flour by hand to avoid over working.
- Separate 1/3 of the cake batter into a separate bowl and mix in blackberry jam. In remaining 2/3 of the batter, stir through the shredded coconut.
- Spread 1/3 of the coconut batter into the prepared loaf pan. Next, spread the blackberry batter evenly on top. Top with the final 1/3 of the coconut batter, spreading into an even layer. If desired, swirl the mixture with a knife.
- Bake for 75-80 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Check the color of the top as you are baking, after 30 minutes if the top is browning too much, tent lightly with aluminum foil until the cake is fully baked.
- Remove from the oven and let sit in pan until just cool enough to handle. Transfer to a wire cool to allow to cool completely.
- Glaze: Once cake is fully cool, whisk together powdered sugar and coconut cream to the desired consistency. Spread over the top of the cake and immediately sprinkle coconut flakes on top. Allow to set before slicing.
The baked cake may be sliced and frozen. Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Allow to warm to room temperature before enjoying.
Keywords: berries, brunch