A spin on the classic sweet roll, these pistachio cardamom roll have a gooey pistachio filling with a cardamom spice throughout!
Equipment needed: 13×9 baking pan
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed between 100-115ºF
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (one packet) active dry yeast
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 99g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 480g – 540g (4 – 41/2 cups) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 100g (3/4 cup) unshelled, unsalted pistachios
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 213g light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 142g unsalted butter, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 113g (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 170g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2–3 teaspoons whole milk, room temperature
- Sweet dough. Stand Mixer Method. Place warmed milk in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle yeast on top and a pinch of granulated sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast begin to bubble lightly. Mix in eggs, remaining sugar, salt, cardamom and smaller amount of the flour. Stir on low until mixture comes together. Turn mixer up to medium-high and knead until dough is soft and smooth, about 8-10 minutes. Add additional flour only as needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Sweet dough. By Hand Method. Place warmed milk in a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and a pinch of granulated sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes, until yeast begin to bubble lightly. Stir in eggs, remaining sugar, salt, cardamom and smaller amount of the flour with wooden spoon until mixture comes together. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead by hand until dough is smooth. Add additional flour only as needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place dough into a greased bowl, turn over once to coat, cover and let proof in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Pistachio Filling. While dough is proofing, preheat oven to 350°F. Toast whole pistachios until fragrant, 12-15 minutes. Blitz in a food processor until finely ground, chop by hand. Mix ground pistachios with brown sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and salt.
- Turn risen dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle approximately 22″ x 16″, with the long side facing you. Spread softened butter evenly over the dough, leaving the long edge nearest you clean for 1/2″. Sprinkle pistachio mixture evenly over butter.
- Begin by lightly rolling furthest long edge toward you. Roll into a log, sealing at clean edge. Trim edges of roll. Slice into 15 equal pieces, about 1″ wide. Place swirl side up in a greased 13″ x 9″ baking sheet, leaving room between each roll. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Baking the rolls. In the morning, remove from the fridge and let dough rise in a warm place until rolls are doubled in size, 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm heavy cream slightly to room temperature and pour over risen rolls. Bake until golden brown, about 24-27 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean and the center of the rolls should be 190°F if tested with a thermometer.
- Cream Cheese Glaze. While rolls are cooling, whip together cream cheese and butter. Add sifted confectioners’ sugar, cardamom, salt and vanilla extract. Add milk to desired consistency. Spread over slightly cool or room temperature rolls.
- Rolls are best the day of baking. Store leftover rolls covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a 325°F oven for 5-10 minutes to rewarm.
- Rolls may be made in the same day, after rolling dough and placing in baking sheet, cover and continue with step 7 immediately.
Keywords: brunch, prep-ahead brunch