This Zucchini Galette is bright and summery with a lemony ricotta filling and fresh zucchini slices wrapped in a flaky and totally fool-proof cream cheese crust.
Cream Cheese Crust
- 270g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 283g cream cheese, cold, cubed
- 170g unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
Zucchini Ricotta Filling
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 100g (1 cup) mozzarella
- 250g (1 cup) whole-milk ricotta
- 15g (1/2 cup) fresh-grated Parmesan + extra for sprinkling
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Black pepper + salt
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water)
- Fresh basil for topping (optional)
- Cream Cheese Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, salt and baking powder. Add in cream cheese and pulse until blended through.
- Add cubed butter, and pulse until large chunks of butter remain. Stream in vinegar and heavy cream and pulse until the dough just begins to come together.
- Transfer to a lightly floured board and knead a few times to bring the dough together. Divide dough into 6 equal discs (about 125g each), wrap in plastic and let chill for and least 1 hour.
- Cream Cheese Crust by Hand: If not using a food processor, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Using fingers or a pastry blender, rub in cream cheese then cold butter until the texture is sandy. Stir in vinegar and heavy cream with wooden spatula. Continue with Step 3 above.
- Zucchini Ricotta Filling: 30 minutes into chilling time, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices. Lay in a single layer on a paper-towel-lined tray. Sprinkle salt on top and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, mix together mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, beaten egg, garlic, lemon juice & zest, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
- Remove 1 disc of dough from the fridge at a time. Roll on a floured board to 1/8″ thick, about 7 1/2″ wide circle. Place 1/6th of the ricotta filling (about 1/4 cup) in the center and spread in an even layer, leaving about 1″ edge clean.
- Using a paper towel, blot the top of the zucchini slices to pull out all moisture. Repeat as needed with additional paper towels. Place zucchini in slightly overlapping circles on top of the ricotta filling. Fold 1″ edge over filling to create a crust. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a parchment lined tray.
- Repeat with remaining dough to create 6 galettes.
- Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the bottom is set.
- Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm or room temperature. Top with basil if desired.
- Cream Cheese Crust can be made ahead of time. After separating into discs, place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the night before ready to use.
- Leftover galettes can be stored in the fridge, they are great cold! Or reheat in the oven at 350°F for about 5 minutes.
- To make one large galette, keep dough in a single disc, roll out to 1/8″ circle. Fill and place zucchini on top in the same manner as above. Bake 40-50 minutes until bottom is golden brown.
Keywords: vegetables, mixer free, brunch