Ready to change your world with the easiest dessert topping ever? Making your own chocolate syrup is crazy easy, only requires 5 ingredients, and is so so so much better than store bought.
Using quality ingredients is key for making an over the top homemade chocolate syrup since there are so few ingredients. Using Hersey brand cocoa powder, however, will remind you of all the childhood chocolate milks you remember.
Why Not the Usual Bottled Option?
Angel food cake is, no lie, one of my favorite desserts. It’s light and fluffy and a total staple of my childhood. And yeah, cake is good, but let’s be honest, it’s just a vessel for chocolate syrup. I could say the same thing for ice cream. And pancakes.
All of these things are just a way to have more chocolate syrup in your life. So while is technically a condiment, chocolate syrup is the sleeper dessert here. I defy you to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream without chocolate syrup. It’s impossible!
That’s why, when I really want to turn it out in the kitchen, I make everything myself. That includes the condiments! Making everything from scratch is that extra special detail that tells everyone around you that you care. Plus, have you read the ingredient list on those bottles?? Those are whole lot of extra syllables in there that are just not necessary in life.
So, what’s in this chocolate syrup? Just the below!
- Cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
What Needs this Homemade Chocolate Syrup!?
If you want to be classier than myself, and refrain from just eating spoonfuls of this syrup straight (I won’t tell, if you won’t), you can use this is so many ways —
- Chocolate milk, obvs
- Make a brownie sundae with these killer Oreo Stuffed Brownies
- Drizzle over angel food cake, or any cake for that matter, like this Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Ice cream sundaes
- Fresh fruit dips
- Fancy crepe topping, or over chocolate chip pancakes
Amp up any dessert, fruit board, or ice cream with a super easy homemade chocolate syrup.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine water, sugar and cocoa powder in medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Mixture will thicken as it chills. Store in refrigerator.